China's special envoy said Thursday that he held "in-depth discussions" with his North Korean counterpart on the possibility of restarting the six-party talks aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions.
"With regard to Korean Peninsula affairs and toward the resumption of the six-nation talks, we held in-depth discussions," Wu Dawei, China's special envoy in charge of the long-stalled multilateral talks, told Kyodo News in Pyongyang, after meeting with Kim Kye Gwan, the North's first vice foreign minister and its point man on nuclear issues.
Wu said, "We deepened mutual understanding," but added, "So far, it is difficult to judge how this would impact our affairs from now."
Wu's unexpected trip to North Korea started Monday, a day before the 10th anniversary of the start of the six-party talks, which have been dormant since late 2008.
The trip, not officially announced by China, is taking place at a time when there are signs of momentum toward a resumption of dialogue between the two Koreas, after months of heightened tensions in the wake of Pyongyang's third nuclear test in February in defiance of warnings from the international community.
The six-party talks involve the two Koreas, China, Japan and Russia and the United States.
Wu is expected to fly out to Beijing on Friday.