Connect to share and comment
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said Friday that Pyongyang is ready to reaffirm its commitment to abandoning its nuclear programs made in a 2005 statement of the six-nation talks on North Korea's denuclearization.
Wang said North Korea is also ready to reaffirm its commitments to a bilateral deal struck with the United Sates on Feb. 29 last year, under which Pyongyang was to implement moratoriums on nuclear tests, long-range missile launches and uranium enrichment activities in exchange for U.S. food aid.
North Korea is "ready to come back to the (2005) statement and also the Feb. 29 deal with the United States," he said in a lecture in Washington through an interpreter.
Wang also called on members of the six-nation talks including the United States to restart the multilateral framework soon. Japan, South Korea and Russia are also involved in the talks.
The Chinese foreign minister visited the U.S. capital to meet with Secretary of State John Kerry before attending a U.N. General Assembly session in New York next week.
Wang and Kerry remained divided in their talks Thursday over whether to resume the stalled six-nation talks following a call by North Korea.
The U.S. government has urged North Korea to follow up on the 2005 deal in which Pyongyang promised to abandon all nuclear weapons and existing nuclear programs before resuming the six-nation talks, which have been stalled since 2008.
Following the 2005 deal, North Korea conducted two nuclear tests and what were suspected to be test launches of ballistic missiles.
North Korea in April this year said it will reactivate a nuclear reactor at the Yongbyon complex which can produce weapons-grade plutonium. The facility north of Pyongyang is the centerpiece of the country's nuclear program.
Copyright 2013 Kyodo News International.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.