The Japanese government has lodged a protest with The New York Times over its editorial earlier this month about Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's view on wartime history, its top spokesman said Tuesday.
The editorial "contains significant factual errors," Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a press conference, after the daily noted Abe has denied the 1937 Nanjing Massacre in China took place.
Abe "has never made such a remark," Suga said, while reiterating Japan "considers it an undeniable fact that the killings of Chinese non-combatants and plundering by Japanese troops did take place" in the Chinese city during the early days of the Sino-Japanese war that lasted until 1945.
The NYT said in the editorial, titled "Mr. Abe's dangerous revisionism," that the prime minister "whitewashes the history of the war. He and other nationalists still claim that the Nanjing massacre by Japanese troops in 1937 never happened."