Connect to share and comment
The New York Times has accepted the Japanese government's request for correcting its editorial earlier this month on Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's view on history, the Foreign Ministry said Wednesday.
The daily admitted March 5 in its online edition that the March 2 editorial "incorrectly stated" Abe's government may invalidate Japan's 1993 apology over Korean women forced to serve in military brothels during World War II.
It came in response to Japan's protest, the ministry's press secretary, Kuni Sato, said at a press conference.
But Sato added the newspaper has yet to respond to another call for correction to the description in the same editorial, titled "Mr. Abe's Dangerous Revisionism," that Abe has denied the 1937 Nanjing Massacre in China took place.
Abe has never made such a remark, the spokesperson said, adding the prime minister has taken over the position of past governments that it is "an undeniable fact that the killings of Chinese non-combatants and plundering by Japanese troops did take place" in the Chinese city during the early days of the Sino-Japanese war that lasted until 1945.
Copyright 2014 Kyodo News International.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.