Connect to share and comment
The foreign ministers of South Korea and China agreed Monday to oppose any new North Korean nuclear test, South Korea's Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
"South Korea and China shared the view North Korea's recent movements, including nuclear activities, pose serious threats to peace and stability in the region and agreed to remain resolutely opposed to North Korea's nuclear test," the statement said.
The statement was issued after Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and his South Korean counterpart Yun Byung Se held talks.
The statement said the two ministers agreed that Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit "in the near future" is "very timely in that it will elevate the South Korea-China Strategic Partnership and make a positive contribution to peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula."
Although the statement didn't specify the timing for Xi's visit, many reports say Xi will visit South Korea next month.
The Chinese foreign minister arrived in Seoul earlier in the day for a two-day visit.
The ministers also reiterated their position that North Korea's nuclear weapons program should never be accepted and also agreed dialogue is needed to achieve Pyongyang's denuclearization and prevent the North from advancing its nuclear capabilities, the statement said.
North Korea has threatened in recent weeks to conduct a fourth nuclear test to protest what it perceives as a hostile U.S.-South Korea stance against it and denunciations made at the U.N. against its ballistic missile and rocket launches earlier this year.
The six-party talks on North Korea's nuclear ambitions, which involve the two Koreas, the United States, China, Japan and Russia, have been deadlocked since late 2008.
North Korea conducted nuclear tests in 2006, 2009 and February 2013, drawing a storm of condemnation from the international community and censure from the United Nations.
Wang paid a visit to President Park Geun Hye later in the day during which he offered condolences over the tragic sinking of the ferry Sewol that left more than 300 passengers dead or missing.
Copyright 2014 Kyodo News International.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.