Connect to share and comment
The McDonald's fast food chain apologized Sunday to the Hong Kong public and said it is surrendering all food products imported from China's Husi plants because of an expired meat scandal that affects China, Japan and the United States.
The U.S. food chain's Hong Kong managing director Randy Lai said the firm let down customers over miscommunication on whether the restaurants had imported and sold food products from Husi, including from the Shanghai plant that was using expired and tainted meat.
"We have immediately stopped selling relevant products and sealed all food products from Husi," Lai said. "On behalf of the company's management, I sincerely and solemnly apologize to the public."
Hong Kong's food safety watchdog imposed a ban on import and sale of products from all Husi plants in China on Thursday after a press expose Monday on the Shanghai Husi plant, which along with nine other mainland subsidiaries is run by U.S.-based OSI Group LLC and supplies processed meat to local and regional markets.
Hong Kong McDonald's denied having imported any food from Husi's Shanghai plant until the Center for Food Safety revealed otherwise. The company later admitted having twice imported food products from the Shanghai plant in the past year, in addition to Husi's Hebei and Guangzhou plants.
During inspections carried out last week, Shanghai's food and drug administration found more than 5,100 crates of processed meat products, including chicken nuggets and meat pies, that included raw ingredients with expiration dates between June 18 and 30, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.
Copyright 2014 Kyodo News International.
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.