Connect to share and comment
Anger that erupted on Sept. 11 over an amateur film denigrating Prophet Muhammad spread throughout the Muslim world. Two weeks later, the unrest prompted a historic response from President Obama at the United Nations General Assembly. GlobalPost brings you the latest on how the story is playing across the Middle East, on the US campaign trail, and around the world.
Administration officials said it suspects that Libya attack on the US consulate was planned not the work of a spontaneous mob.
US administration officials said they now suspect the deadly attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya may have been planned and not the result of a spontaneous mob, as previously thought, according to the New York Times.
As GlobalPost reported, the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other Americans were killed in the attack on Tuesday.
More from GlobalPost: US ambassador to Libya killed in Benghazi attack
The New York Times explained US intelligence officials studying the events over the last 24 hours, believe while protests on the US embassy in Cairo were the result of a "spontaneous unarmed mob angered by an anti-Islam video," the Benghazi attack was different.
It seems the Libyans had rocket-propelled grenades and mortars and could have been the work of a group using the protests as a cover.
The violence was provoked by a controversial video called “Innocence of Muslims" that is said to denigrate the Prophet Mohammad.
Meanwhile, Libya's Ambassador to Washington Ali Aujali said Qaddafi's followers were behind the attack, Foreign Policy reported.
Speaking from the White House President Barack Obama condemned the attacks saying "The world must stand together to unequivocally reject these brutal acts."