Connect to share and comment
Prosecutors are opposed to any changes to Oscar Pistorius's bail restrictions.
As lawyers for Oscar Pistorius prepare to apply to the High Court for his passport to be returned, prosecutors have indicated they are opposed to him travelling abroad.
"As the state, we are going to oppose that application," Medupe Simasiku, regional spokesman for the National Prosecuting Authority, told AP.
AP, who received a copy Monday of Pistorius' application from representatives of the Pistorius family, said the court papers state that evidence showed he was not a flight risk.
It also said there was "no basis in fact or in law" justifying terms under which the 26-year-old must be supervised by a probation officer and a correctional official.
Pistorius is currently on more than $110,000 bail after he was arrested for killing his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, in the early hours of Valentine’s Day.
More from GlobalPost: Pistorius granted bail
His application to have his bail conditions loosened comes as the family released a statement Monday dismissing reports on a BBC documentary that Pistorius is "suicidal", ABC News reported.
“Oscar, broken as he currently is, believes he has a purpose in life and is working towards that. Media reports to the contrary are untrue,” Arnold Pistorius, Oscar’s uncle, said in the statement.
He said while legal expenses were quickly mounting, and Pistorius had already sold off some of his investments, the fight would continue.
More from GlobalPost: Pistorius challenges strict bail conditions in murder case
Arnold said Oscar “will evaluate the cost situation on a day-to-day basis and make decisions as required.
“We are acutely aware of the fact that this is only the beginning of a long road to prove that, as we believe, Oscar never intended to harm Reeva Steenkamp. We also realise that the law must run its course, and we respect this process.”