NSA says website outage was not a hacker attack

A demonstrator wears a mask on Aug. 15, 2011 in San Francisco, California.</p>

A demonstrator wears a mask on Aug. 15, 2011 in San Francisco, California.

The National Security Agency's website was down for several hours Friday, and hackers claimed to have taken it down through a denial of service attack.

While nsa.gov was down, the account “@anonymousAsia,” which may be connected with the hacking group Anonymous, claimed credit for the attack on Twitter, tweeting:

However, the NSA released a statement to the Wall Street Journal, denying its website had been hacked.

The agency said its website went down due to an unspecified internal system error during a scheduled update.

"NSA.gov was not accessible for several hours tonight because of an internal error that occurred during a scheduled update. The issue will be resolved this evening. Claims that the outage was caused by a distributed denial of service attack are not true.”

It's remains unclear exactly why nsa.gov went down.