An alleged rape victim spoke publicly for the first time today, asking witnesses who may have recorded the act on cellphones to come forward.
The Vancouver-area teen, whose identity is protected by Canadian law, addressed the media a day after Crown prosecutors stayed their case against the only man charged with assault, Postmedia reported.
“I’m devastated that this case did not proceed,” she said. “What happened is downright sickening and repulsive. … There’s still evidence out there, and it could be what we need to make this case a go, but due to the code of silence, it’s still out there somewhere.
“Please come forward. It would mean the world to me and my family.”
Police say the case is still open, and charges will proceed with more evidence.
The alleged incident happened Sept. 10, 2010, at an outdoor rave involving dozens of young people in rural Pitt Meadows, B.C.
Police said someone gave the girl, who was then 16, a date-rape drug and sexually assaulted her as others watched and took photos on their cellphones.
The images were then circulated on the Internet, including on Facebook.
“Make no mistake,” RCMP Sgt. Jennifer Hyland said a few days later in the Globe and Mail. “This girl was raped. She was likely drugged and abused by numerous people.”
Another teen who circulated the photos received one year of probation in court last month.
However, the Crown said it didn’t have enough evidence to proceed with sexual assault charges against Colton McMorris, 19, CBC said.
A third man, 19-year-old Dennis John Allen Warrington, still faces distributing child pornography charges in the case.
More from GlobalPost: Big Brother Brazil may have caught rape on camera