Celebrity chef Anthony Sedlak, host of The Food Network’s "The Main" and "Family Cook Off," died suddenly in his Vancouver home on the weekend, his family announced. He was 29.
The cause of death may be an undiagnosed medical condition, the family’s statement said.
“His unexpected and sudden death has devastated his family, friends and the culinary community,” the release said, according to the Toronto Sun.
Sedlak climbed to stardom at an early age, winning a gold medal for Canada at the World Junior Chef Challenge when he was 23.
He hosted “The Main” for four seasons before releasing a cookbook of the same name, The Vancouver Sun reported.
Someone found his body on Friday about 7 pm after he apparently collapsed at his Vancouver apartment.
Sedlak had just opened The Great American Cheesecake Co. earlier this year in Vancouver, and was preparing to remodel the Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites’ menus, the Sun said.
At age 13, Sedlak was determined to become a chef, and completed culinary training and a four-year apprenticeship in Vancouver by age 19, The Victoria Times-Colonist said.
He spent nearly two years training at La Trompette, a Michelin Star restaurant in London, England.
“The Sedlak family thanks Anthony’s fans and associates for all their love, devotion and condolences,” the statement said
A private funeral is scheduled for Vancouver.
More from GlobalPost: Ernest Borgnine, TV and film actor, dies aged 95