Connect to share and comment
FARC rebels have killed eight people — including an infant — in two separate attacks.
FARC rebels killed eight people — including a 9-month-old girl — in two separate attacks in southern Colombia late Thursday night and early Friday morning.
A military statement said the rebels used homemade mortars to attack a police station in the town of Puerto Rico, but missed their target, killing the baby and her parents, according to BBC News.
The Associated Press also reported that two neighboring children, ages 7 and 9, were wounded in the first attack.
Five soldiers were killed in the second attack while on patrol in the town of Florida, which has long had a strong FARC presence, according to the AP.
More from GlobalPost: Final FARC police, military prisoners released in Colombia
Fighting began on Thursday at 11:30 p.m. and lasted until 5 a.m. Friday morning. According to Colombia Reports, the military and police have accused FARC's Teofilo Forero mobile column for of the attacks.
Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos said last month that the rebel group had been weakened by military attacks, reported BBC News. FARC leader Ivan Marquez said earlier this month that the rebel group was still ready for battle, despite earlier mention that it would consider talks with the government.
According to the AP, Thursday and Friday's attacks are the most serious since April 7, when rebels killed six soldiers.
More from GlobalPost: FARC hostages and their jungle pets (VIDEO)