Connect to share and comment
Autopsy report confirms suspicions surrounding the April 6 death of the self-described "painter of light.
An autopsy report confirmed that painter Thomas Kinkade died last month from an accidental overdose of alcohol and prescription tranquilizers.
The self-described "Painter of Light" died April 6 due to a combination of ethanol and Diazepam intoxication, or in common terms, alcohol and the tranquilizer often marketed as Valium, the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office told The Associated Press on Tuesday.
More from GlobalPost: Painter Thomas Kinkade 'drinking all night' when he died (VIDEO)
Kinkade, 54, also suffered from hypertensive and atherosclerotic heart disease, CNN reported the autopsy report as saying.
Before his death, he produced sentimental scenes of country gardens and pastoral landscapes that were sold in a nationwide chain of galleries.
Kinkade was one of the most popular artists in America, painting more than 1,000 pieces, but had fallen on hard times financially in recent years and relapsed into alcoholism before his death, according to People.com.
More from GlobalPost: Thomas Kinkade painting sales surge since his death
He separated from his wife and their four daughters in 2010.
In 2006, Kinkade recalled one of his earliest lessons during an interview with CNN's Larry King.
"When I was a young boy, my mother told me, 'Your talents are God's gifts to you, and what you do with those talents are your gift to God,'" he said.