Connect to share and comment
The 9/11 museum has been stalled for almost a year, but Bloomberg and Cuomo have reached an agreement to restart construction.
The 9/11 museum will resume construction at the end of September, after Mayor Bloomberg and Governor Cuomo reached an agreement on the eve of the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.
The politicians, as well as Governor Chris Christie of New Jersey, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, and the National Sept. 11 Memorial & Museum foundation, had been in a stalemate over who was going to assume responsibility for the funding and upkeep of the museum, the Wall Street Journal reported.
According to the deal's terms, Mayor Bloomberg and the Foundation, which he runs, will cancel out the $17 million it has argued it is owed in exchange for the Port Authority to continue construction on the site and not stop until it is complete, the WSJ reported.
There will also be three task forces and an Advisory committee created to ensure that the different parties involved in the museum's construction are in close communication as the construction continues.
More from GlobalPost: 9/11 museum delayed over dispute between Bloomberg, Cuomo
"By ensuring that no additional public funds are spent to complete the memorial and museum," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said, Fox News reported. "today's agreement puts in place a critical and long overdue safeguard to finally protect toll payers and taxpayers from bearing further costs, and, at the same time, put the project on a path for completion."
The museum, which will be built underneath the site of where the World Trade Centers once stood, will have 110,000 square feet of exhibition space featuring "photographs, videotapes, voice messages, recovered property, clothing and other personal effects, workplace memorabilia, (and) incident-specific documents," among other items, according to CNN.
"It's a very solemn day," said Bloomberg of the 9/11 anniversary, CBS News reported. "And the message is your heart goes out to the families, but for those of us that didn't lose anybody, we've just got to make sure that we educate the next generation so this does not happen again."
The memorial fountains, which sit in the footprints of the Twin Towers, received 4.5 million visitors in 2011, according to Sarah Lippman, a spokeswoman for the facility.
More from GlobalPost: Terror and the US: Americans feel threat of terrorism has declined, surveys show