Connect to share and comment
Rash of sightings this year continues after shark kills Solorio Jr., 39.
After a rash of shark sightings this year in California, one man is dead after an attack today near Surf Beach northwest of Los Angeles.
The Associated Press identified the man as 39-year-old Francisco Javier Solorio Jr., who died after the shark bit him in the chest or torso.
“A friend who he was surfing with who saw the shark bite or hit the man … ended up swimming over and pulling him from the water where he received first aid,” Sgt. Mark A. Williams told the AP.
The attack happened near Vandenberg Air Force Base, but Solorio was not a soldier or employee there, military officials told the AP.
More from GlobalPost: Sharks to be killed on site in Western Australia
The Air Force allows public access to some of its beaches, CNN said, and the base fire department responded to the call for help.
There was no confirmation on what kind of shark attacked the surfers, although authorities did say they found bite marks on Solorio's’s surfboard.
The attack happened today about 11 am in Lompoc, 150 miles northwest of LA, ABC News said.
A wildlife expert would work Wednesday to determine what kind of shark is responsible, ABC reported.
Officials issued warnings after shark attacks on separate kayakers in May and July, the AP said.
A surfer spotted a 14-foot Great White last month, prompting authorities in Santa Barbara Harbor to post warning signs.
Two years ago near Surf Beach, 19-year-old university student Lucas Ransom died after a shark nearly severed his leg, AP said.
Surf Beach was closed until further notice Tuesday.
"We've had shark sightings up and down the Santa Barbara coastline pretty frequently recently," Lt. Erik Raney told the AP.
More from GlobalPost: Save the sharks, says Costa Rica