Connect to share and comment
"This looks like a war zone," local fire official tells reporter.
Authorities on Sunday were still investigating the cause of a huge blast in Indianapolis late Saturday that killed at least two people, injured seven, flattened two homes and damaged at least 18 others, a local official said, according to Reuters.
"There's a significant number of homes that have sustained damage, including two that have been completely destroyed, no cause has been ruled out," said Marc Lotter, a spokesman for Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard.
"The investigation is ongoing."
More from GlobalPost: Dear Mr President: Advice for a re-elected Obama
Some 200 people were evacuated to an elementary school and seven people were hospitalized with injuries after the blast and fire, fire officials told the Associated Press.
The cause of the explosion (or explosions) is not yet known, but Fox News said the sound could be heard for miles. The force of the blast "shattered windows, caved-in walls" and knocked "garage doors... off their hinges," survivors told the AP.
Indianapolis Fire Department spokeswoman Lieutenant Bonnie Hensley said the blast blew up two homes a little after 11 p.m. Saturday, causing a fire that spread to two dozen neighborhood homes, reported The Chicago Tribune.
"This looks like a war zone; it really does," Hensley told AP.
The fire had been brought under control as of 12:30 a.m. local time Sunday, officials told The Chicago Tribune.
Here's a local video report from Fox 59's WXIN in Indianapolis: