Connect to share and comment
Springfield gas explosion caused by fuel leak; strip club had not opened yet for the night.
An explosion caused by a natural gas leak Friday night leveled a strip club in Springfield, Massachusetts, and injured at least 18 people.
Authorities did not immediately know if anyone died in the blast, The Associated Press reported.
More from GlobalPost: Black Friday: 2 people shot outside Walmart in Florida
TScores Gentlemen's Club had not opened yet for the night, but downtown Springfield was filled with people celebrating the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, according to WWLP.
The blast happened at about 5:25 p.m. ET as gas workers looked for a leak under the road, Reuters reported.
More from GlobalPost: Miami woman dies after 42 years in coma
Witnesses described a massive explosion that shook the ground and sent up a huge cloud of smoke.
"The whole building is completely gone," Springfield police Capt. William Collins told Reuters. "The building was leveled ... there was extensive damage to a building across the street."
One dancer told the Springfield Republican that gas workers had come to Scores during the week after employees reported smelling gas, but found nothing.