The father of Sandy Hook gunman Adam Lanza, who killed 26 people in the Newtown school shooting, has claimed his son's body for burial.
A spokesman for the family said Monday that Peter Lanza claimed the remains of his son, but didn't say when the remains were claimed, according to the Associated Press.
More from GlobalPost: Sandy Hook shooting: Girl, 6, was sole survivor of her grade one class
State Medical Examiner Wayne H. Carver II has ruled Adam Lanza's death a suicide, but is waiting for toxicology test results before completing the case, reported the Chicago Tribune. The 20-year-old killed himself inside a classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Dec. 14 after shooting and killing 26 people in the school, including 20 children. He had earlier killed his mother, Nancy, at their house.
According to The New York Times, a private funeral service was held for Nancy Lanza a few days after the shootings.
Authorities have yet to provide a motive for Adam Lanza's actions, the Times continued. Researchers at the University of Connecticut have said they plan to study his DNA.
Peter Lanza, who was divorced from Nancy, lives in Stamford, Conn., and is a tax director at General Electric, reported the AP. He is said to have had little contact with his son over the past two years.