Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) officials on Thursday asked the public to help them locate the two suspects believed to be behind the Boston Marathon bombings on Monday.
FBI Special Agent Richard DesLauriers, in charge of the investigation in Boston, told reporters the agency needed the public's help in locating the two -- referred to as Suspect 1 and Suspect 2 -- and released the following photos of them:
Anyone with information about them is asked to contact the authorities. But people should be careful, DesLauriers warned, saying: "We consider them to be armed and extremely dangerous."
The request came as officials detailed the latest investigation into the high-profile bombing, in which three people were killed and more than a 100 wounded near the Boston Marathon's finish line.
The FBI canceled a presser scheduled for late Wednesday, and Thursday's conference was held amid high security. No other information was provided about the case.
DesLauriers critical of the news media following an incorrect report Wednesday claiming someone had been arrested in the case.
"These images should be the only ones, I emphasize the only ones, that the public should use to assist us," said DesLauriers. "Other photos should not be deemed credible," he added.
The US government's investigation into the bombings involves more than 1,000 agents and forensic workers, GlobalPost learned. Thursday's update reflects their latest efforts.
Here is surveillance video related the bombings also released by the FBI: