Connect to share and comment
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the sole surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing, has been transferred from a civilian hospital to a Massachusetts prison medical center.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the 19-year-old charged with carrying out the Boston Marathon bombings, has been taken to a prison hospital.
Tsarnaev, who was badly injured during the chase that led to his capture by police, had been receiving treatment at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, the same hospital where several of the attacks' victims were also receiving care.
Tsarnaev has now been transferred to a federal medical center at Fort Devens, Mass., about 40 miles west of Boston, the US Marshals Service said Friday morning.
The facility specializes in detaining inmates who need long-term medical or mental health care.
Tsarnaev, 19, is reported to have sustained gunshot wounds to the head, neck, legs and hand as he and his older brother fled from police last week. His brother and fellow suspect, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed in the chase. Dzhokhar was arrested hours later.
More from GlobalPost: Live-tweeting the Watertown shootout
The surviving suspect, who was charged, while lying his hospital bed, with using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction, is understood to be unable to talk because of a throat injury. He has been responding to questions in writing.
The suspects' father was due to travel to the US from his home in the Russian republic of Dagestan to collect his oldest son's body, but their mother, Zubeidat Tsarnaeva, told CNN that he has now delayed his trip indefinitely due to "health reasons."
Tsarnaeva, who has outstanding felony charges against her for shoplifting when she still lived in Massachusetts, says she won't be returning to the US.
Authorities "already told us they will not let us see Dzhokhar," she told reporters.
Late last week, the brothers had hijacked a car and were allegedly on their way to New York to carry out a second attack on Times Square. Their plans were foiled when they were forced to stop for gas and the owner of the vehicle, whom the pair had been holding hostage, managed to escape and alert police.
"I don't feel like a hero," the carjack victim, identified only as a 26-year-old Chinese national named Danny, told the Boston Globe. "I was trying to save myself."
More from GlobalPost: After marathon bombing madness, is this the new normal?