Connect to share and comment
VIDEO: Julio Acevedo said in a jailhouse interview that he was sorry but insisted he was not speeding.
The driver charged in a hit-and-run accident that killed a young Orthodox Jewish couple and their unborn child last month has said he was sorry but that "accidents happen".
Julio Acevedo, 44, gave his first jailhouse interview since being charged with vehicular manslaughter in the deaths of Nachman Glauber, his pregnant wife Raizy Glauber and their unborn son on March 3 in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
"I can't bring 'em back, it was an accident," Acevedo told WABC, "I apologize deeply."
"I'm made out to be the monster in all this," he continued. "Sure I played a part. I couldn't stop. Accidents happen. I'm sad. It was a tragedy."
Acevedo insisted he was not speeding or drunk at the time of the accident. The ex-con fled the scene of the accident after his car T-boned a livery cab carrying the Glauber family to a local hospital. He tried to shift blame for the crash on the cab driver, who survived the wreck.
"He was more in the rush than I was. He was rushing the woman to the hospital," Acevedo said.
Based on eyewitness accounts, prosecutors allege that Acevedo was swerving through traffic at 70 mph, twice the speed limit, moments before the accident happened.
He faces life in prison.