Connect to share and comment
Public New Year's Eve celebrations have been called off in Venezuela as Hugo Chavez struggles to recover from a cancer operation in Cuba.
Information Minister Ernesto Villegas urged families to “ring in the New Year at home, praying and expressing hope for the health” of Chavez, the Agence France-Presse reported.
Authorities cancelled a concert planned for downtown Caracas tonight.
The move to cancel public festivities came a day after Vice-President Nicolas Maduro said Chavez had suffered “new complications” after a cancer operation earlier this month - his fourth since he was diagnosed with cancer in June of last year - and remained in a “delicate state.”
Maduro did not give details about the complications, but said they came amid a respiratory infection, according to the Associated Press.
The vice-president had arrived in Havana on Saturday in an unexpected trip to visit the president. He said Sunday that he would remain in the Cuban capital "for the coming hours" but didn't specify how long.