Connect to share and comment
Police in Mumbai arrested the last of five suspects Sunday in connection with the gang-rape of a photojournalist in her early 20s in an abandoned mill late Thursday.
Police arrested the last of five suspects Sunday in connection with the gang-rape of an Indian photojournalist in an abandoned mill in Mumbai earlier this week.
The final suspect was taken into custody in New Delhi, while the other four were rounded up in Mumbai.
More from GlobalPost: Indian photojournalist gang-raped in Mumbai
On Saturday, a second suspect admitted to the crime while in custody and the first suspect arrested, a 19-year-old unemployed man from south Mumbai, appeared in court and was ordered to remain in custody until Aug. 30.
The 22-year-old victim remained in the hospital Sunday but was recovering well.
"Rape is not the end of life," the woman told the Times of India.
She and a male colleague, both interns, had been on a magazine assignment Thursday night to take pictures of the neighborhood surrounding the deserted Shakti Mills compound.
Police said the suspects approached the journalists on the pretense of helping them get permission to shoot inside the crumbling building.
More from GlobalPost: Study finds majority of India rape victims knew their attacker
The male colleague was tied up while the victim was raped repeatedly.
Outcry is growing over the attack, which came months after a young woman was similarly targeted on a bus in New Delhi, in a case that drew international condemnation.
Fellow photojournalists staged a protest Saturday, demanding justice for the victim.
Opposition parties have also called for the resignation of RR Patil, the home minister of Maharashtra state of which Mumbai is the capital, over the incident.