Connect to share and comment
Fresh footage of the disaster zone suggests that the death toll could easily top 10,000.
TOKYO, Japan — Japan is facing its worst crisis since the second world war, the prime minister, Naoto Kan, said on Sunday as tens of thousands of troops and rescue workers descended on areas devastated by Friday’s earthquake and tsunami.
In a televised address to the public, Kan appealed to the country to come together in their time of crisis, and predicted the arrival of a Japanese-style New Deal sparked by huge demand as it recovers from the disaster.
“This is the worst crisis in Japan’s 65-year postwar history,” Kan said. “All of the people of Japan face a test as to whether they can overcome it. Together, I think we will.”
Three days after a vast stretch of Japan’s northeast coast was shaken by an 9.0-magnitude earthquake and tsunami more than 30 feet in height, fresh footage of the disaster zone suggested that the death toll could easily top 10,000.
About 9,500 people were missing in the coastal town of Minami Sanriku — more than half its population — while hundreds were thought to have been drowned in other communities that were swept away by the wall of water that followed Friday’s quake, the biggest in Japan’s history.
The public broadcaster NHK said 2,700 homes had been destroyed in Arahama in the same prefecture, while further north, 5,000 homes were under water in Rikuzen-Takata, in Iwate prefecture.
As foreign rescue teams arrived to help locate survivors, officials were struggling to contain more overheating problems at a nuclear power plant in Fukushima, 150 miles north of Tokyo.
The country woke on Sunday to the grim news that the No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi planthad suffered a cooling system failure that, if left untreated, could lead to meltdown and the release of large quantities of radioactivity.
Those renewed fears of a serious nuclear accident came a day after a building housing another overheating reactor at the plant exploded, sending the roof flying and causing the walls to crumble.
The plant’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), said it had started relieving pressure on the No. 3 reactor and pumping in water and boric acid in an attempt to prevent it from reaching criticality.
The government’s top spokesman, Yoichi Edano, said the reactors — two of six at two plants in the area with cooling problems — had released small quantities of radioactivity, but added there was no threat to people living in the area.
Edano told reporters that the core of the reactor may have been deformed due to overheating but played down fears of a meltdown.
But he could not rule out the possibility of a second explosion. "At the risk of raising further public concern, we cannot rule out the possibility of an explosion," he said. "If there is an explosion, however, there would be no significant impact on human health."
At least 22 people are known to have been exposed to radiation and were being treated in hospital; Japan’s nuclear and industrial safety agency said that as many as 160 people may have been exposed.
As a precaution, the government began evacuating more than 200,000 people living within a 20-kilometer radius of two Fukushima power plants and set up a center to screen for radiation poisoning.