Connect to share and comment

Pakistan hospital standoff over, gunmen shot dead after bus blast

The Dolan Medical College hospital building in Quetta was taken over by gunmen earlier Saturday hours after a bus blast killed at least 11 people.

Pakistan hospital standoff 2013 06 15Enlarge
Pakistani paramilitary soldiers take position after militants attacked a hospital in Quetta, the capital of Baluchistan province, on June 15, 2013. At least 23 people were killed after militants blew up a bus carrying female students in Pakistan's troubled southwest and later targeted the hospital treating survivors, as a gun battle with insurgents continued, officials said. (BANARAS KHAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Pakistan police stormed a hospital in Quetta on Saturday, ending a standoff with armed gunmen that began hours earlier after a bus blast killed at least 11 people.

The violence began when militants destroyed a house once lived in by Pakistan's founder, Muhammad Ali Jinnah, in the mountain resort town of Ziarat that has become a national monument, the Washington Post reported.

More from GlobalPost: Drone strike kills 7 in Pakistan

A police officer was killed trying to defend the building, which was destroyed in the blast.

That attack was followed by an explosion in Quetta that ripped through a nearby bus carrying female university students, killing at least 11 and wounding 19.

Militants then exploded a bomb outside the emergency room at Quetta's Dolan Medical College hospital, where the students were taken, leaving five people dead, according to The Associated Press.

More from GlobalPost: Afflicted: Pakistan's children hit hard by measles epidemic

Pakistani officials told BBC News four of the gunmen were killed after police stormed the building five hours later.

Nurses, hospital security and a city official were among the 10 others reported dead in the siege.

An extremist Sunni militant group, Laskar-e-Jhangvi, told the BBC it carried out the bus blast and hospital attack.

A man calling himself spokesman for the group said they were a revenge for an earlier raid by security forces in which a woman and children were killed.