Connect to share and comment
14 people from the Christian-dominated slums in Karachi were hospitalized after drinking toxic homemade liquor, and nine of them have died so far.
At least nine people have died and others have fallen ill after drinking toxic liquor in southern Pakistan.
Fourteen people from the Christian-dominated slums in Karachi were hospitalized after consuming the homemade liquor Saturday night, police officer Mohammad Sarwar told The Associated Press on Sunday.
More from GlobalPost: Toxic liquor kills more than 100 in India
Nine of those people have died, and five remained hospitalized.
Among the dead were Asif, Sadeeq, Victor, Johnson, Kashif, Bashir Masih, Bota Masih and Shahzad Masih, the Pakistan Tribune reported.
At least two people have been arrested on suspicion of selling the toxic liquor.
More from GlobalPost: Ecuador bans alcohol after bootleg liquor deaths
They are looking for those responsible for distilling it, according to the AP.
Liquor poisoning is common in Pakistan, where the Muslim majority is forbidden to consume or sell alcohol. In late July, 18 people died and dozens more fell ill after drinking contaminated alcohol at two parties in the central city of Faisalabad.