Talks between Pakistan and Taliban falter before they start

A badly damaged mosque after militants attacked Spin Tal village in Pakistan's Orakzai tribal district, Oct. 3, 2013.

Negotiators for the Pakistani Taliban said Tuesday that government representatives had refused to show up for planned peace talks, citing confusion over the militants' team.

The two sides had been due to gather in Islamabad at 2 p.m. to chart a "roadmap" for talks, amid a surge in militant violence and skepticism about the chances of reaching a negotiated peace.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's announcement last week of a team to begin dialogue with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) was greeted by by surprise.

The group has been waging a violent insurgency in Pakistan since 2007.

More from GlobalPost: Afghanistan's Karzai holding secret talks with Taliban: Report

Many observers had been anticipating a military offensive against TTP strongholds in Pakistan's tribal areas, following a bloody start to the year. More than 110 people were killed in militant attacks in January, many of them military personnel.

The head of the TTP's talks committee, hardline cleric Maulana Sami-ul-Haq, said he was disappointed the government team had failed to show up as agreed.

"I received a phone call from Irfan Siddiqui who said confusion still persisted because the composition of the Taliban committee has changed from five to three," Haq said. Siddiqui is leading the government negotiators.

"Citing this reason, he said the government committee could not come."

AFP was unable to reach the government for an immediate comment.

The government team consists of senior journalists Siddiqui and Rahimullah Yusufzai, former diplomat Rustam Shah Mohmand and retired major Mohammad Aamir, formerly of the Inter Services Intelligence agency.

More from GlobalPost: Who are the Pakistani Taliban?

The Taliban initially named five negotiators: Haq, Maulana Abdul Aziz, who is the chief cleric of Islamabad's Red Mosque, Professor Ibrahim Khan of religious party Jamaat-e-Islami, Mufti Kifayatullah of the JUI-F religious party and cricketer-turned-politician Imran Khan.

But Imran Khan declined the offer and Kifayatullah's party withdrew Kifayatullah on Monday, complaining they had not been properly consulted over the talks.

Bleak hopes

Washington has long pressured Pakistan to take action against militants using tribal areas as a base to attack NATO troops across the border in Afghanistan.

Talk of a full offensive in North Waziristan rose last month when the air force bombarded suspected Taliban hideouts following two major attacks on military targets.

But no operation was launched and critics accused Sharif's government of dithering in response to the resurgent violence.

The TTP has said in the past that it opposes democracy and wants Islamic sharia law imposed throughout Pakistan, while the government has stressed the country's constitution must remain paramount.

Even before Tuesday's abortive start, media held out scant hope for the talks.

English-language daily The Nation predicted the "peace talks balloon will burst soon enough."

"The ambiguity and confusion still exists because the political leadership has been extremely hesitant towards taking a clear stand and calling a spade a spade for a change," it said in an editorial on Tuesday.

Haq urged the government to come to the negotiating table.

"We once again invite the government committee to come and talk to us. We will not make anything a point of prestige," he told reporters.

"We believe that the pressure is now growing on the prime minister. He makes sincere offers but later comes under US pressure."

Haq told AFP on Monday that the TTP had so far made no formal demands for the talks.

In the past the militants have called for their prisoners to be released and for Pakistani troops to be pulled out of the seven tribal areas along the Afghan border.