Typhoon Bopha left a wake of devastation in the Philippines, with the death toll rising well above 350, with another 400 still missing.
Agence France Presse reported at least 475 confirmed dead, citing Major-General Ariel Bernardo, head of an army division involved in the search for survivors. Bernardo said 258 of the dead were found on the east coast of Mindanao, while 191 were found in and around New Bataan and Monkayo.
Some 200,000 people were left without homes after the hurricane-force winds and torrential rain flattened whole towns in the typhoon's path.
Voice of America said that many areas in the Philippines were still inaccessible on Thursday, with washed-out roads and destroyed bridges blocking paths. Meanwhile, authorities were working to provide emergency shelter for nearly 250,000 people who temporarily took shelter in schools and government buildings.
More on GlobalPost: Typhoon Bopha hits the Philippines, at least 270 dead
"I have Mindanao on my mind, especially the number of people missing," Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Thursday, according to CNN. "I am hoping these people will be found safe and sound."
"Our target is not to lose any lives," he said. "My hope is to have all these families together for Christmas. My dream is to concentrate, to achieve this goal, and avoid any single Filipino from starving and suffering and have him achieve his lifelong goals."
The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council gave a lower estimate for a death toll, saying the typhoon had so far claimed the lives of 331 people.
Typhoon Bopha, known locally as Pablo, was one of the strongest tropical cyclones to hit the island in decades, said CNN. Rescue efforts have been hampered by power outages and landslides.
More on GlobalPost: World's worst disasters 2012, fires to floods to famine (VIDEO)
This video from The Daily Telegraph shows the whipping winds and rain that caused so much damage: