Connect to share and comment
The death toll of the Costa Concordia shipwreck has risen to 15.
Two more victims have been found in the Costa Concordia ship wreckage, bringing the death toll up to 15, according to BBC News.
The two women were found in the ship's internet cafe, which was submerged. They were located by divers after further holes had been blown into the Concordia, according to the Daily Mail.
More from GlobalPost: Costa Concordia body count at 13; unregistered passengers may have been on board
One of the bodies found has been identified as 30-year-old Italian Maria D'Introno. She was honeymooning aboard the ship, which crashed off the coast of Giglio island Jan. 13, with her new husband Vincenzo Roselli and her in-laws, who were celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary, The Daily Mail reported.
The discovery of more victims comes as officials prepare to pump fuel out of the wrecked ship, which was on its first day of cruising the Mediterranean when it capsized with a full load of gasoline, according to the BBC. There has been no leak yet, but the civil protection agency says that solvents and disinfectants from onboard the ship have already polluted the area, which is home to rare flora and fauna, the BBC reported.
Italian Admiral Ilarione Dell'Anna predicted it would take 28 days without any interruptions to remove all of the fuel, the Associated Press reported.
The ship's captain Francesco Schettino has been charged with multiple counts of manslaughter, abandoning ship, unsafely steering it close to shore, and causing a shipwreck.
Captain Schettino tested negative for drugs, his lawyer told reporters on Monday, according to the BBC.
More from GlobalPost: Italy, bravado and the Costa Concordia
Divers are working in what they call "unbreathable air," which has been tainted with the smell of decomposing bodies still trapped in the ship.
"Imagine the scene if you went on holiday and you came back to find the fridge had switched itself off. The divers are working in those conditions," Fire chief Enio Aquilino told the Daily Mail.
Though rescue work has been suspended several times owing to bad weather, the search for more victims will continue alongside the siphoning off of roughly 500,000 gallons of fuel, the Daily Mail reported.