A post-mortem examination released Wednesday showed that Lee Rigby, the victim of a brutal, public attack in Woolwich last week, died of "multiple incised wounds."
Scotland Yard said the probe into Rigby's death would begin at Southwark Coroner's Court on Friday.
The police have since made a new appeal for information after the 25-year-old soldier was stabbed a week ago.
"Seven days ago Lee Rigby was murdered in a violent act which was both horrific and shocking, and our thoughts today are with his friends and family at this difficult time," said Commander Simon Letchford of the Metropolitan Police.
"A fast paced and complex investigation is now under way by detectives from the Met's counterterrorism command.
More from GlobalPost: Tenth suspect arrested in Woolwich murder case
"As part of that investigation, officers are seeking the public's help and we would urge anybody who witnessed Lee's attack or who has other information that would assist this investigation to come forward. Today, officers are in this area handing out leaflets and engaging with members of the public who may not have come forward."
Police are now preparing to question one of two suspects they shot at the scene before they arrested them.
Michael Adebowale, 22, was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday and will be questioned by the Met Police Counter Terrorism Command. The second suspect, 28-year-old Michael Adebolajo, remains in the hospital.
Rigby was killed last week in the southeast area of Woolwich. Scotland Yard confirmed Wednesday that he had been walking near his barracks when he was struck by a blue Vauxhall Tigra and then attacked by two men. In the aftermath of the attack, images emerged of two men with bloodied knives and meat cleavers.
More from GlobalPost: After London attack, UK grapples with anti-Muslim rage