Connect to share and comment

Second man, Michael Adebolajo, charged in death of British soldier Lee Rigby

The second suspect in the brutal murder of a British soldier in Woolwich has been charged and will appear in court on Monday.

Michael adebolajo Enlarge
This photo taken on November 23, 2010 shows Michael Adebolajo (C) among the nine suspected members of the Al-Shabaab Movement arrested by Kenyan police on November 22 on claims of being Al-Shabaab recruits on their way to Somalia at the weekend. Michael Adebolajo, one of the main suspects in the brutal murder of a soldier in London, was arrested in Kenya more than two years ago for seeking terror training, it emerged on May 26, 2013, after police made more arrests. (Michael Richards/AFP/Getty Images)

A Scotland Yard spokesman confirmed Saturday that a second man has been charged in the brutal death of British soldier Lee Rigby in a London street last month.

Michael Adebolajo, 28, is the second suspect to be charged in Rigby’s murder and will also face charges for the attempted murder of two police officers, reports the Telegraph.

Another man, 22-year-old Michael Adebowale, was also charged with murder and possession of a firearm last week.

Both Adebolajo and Adebowale were shot by police in the aftermath of the killing. Adebolajo was released from the hospital a day before being charged with Rigby’s murder.

Detective Chief Inspector Grant Mallon, from Scotland Yard’s Counter-Terrorism Command, told the Telegraph that Rigby was hit by a car before being attacked by two men armed with a clever and a knife.

On Wednesday, a post-mortem examination found Rigby died of "multiple incised wounds" from the attack.

More from GlobalPost: Lee Rigby: Woolwich attack victim died of 'multiple incised wounds'

Metropolitan Police Commander Simon Letchford said earlier this week that a "fast paced and complex investigation" is underway and will be handled by the Met’s counter terrorism command.

"As part of that investigation, officers are seeking the public's help and we would urge anybody who witnessed Lee's attack or who has other information that would assist this investigation to come forward. Today, officers are in this area handing out leaflets and engaging with members of the public who may not have come forward," he said.

Adebolajo is expected to appear in Westminster Magistrates Court on Monday.

Last week, it emerged that Adebolajo was arrested in Kenya in 2010 where he was suspected of preparing to join terrorist group al-Shabab.

More from GlobalPost: Michael Adebolajo 2010 arrest in Kenya on suspected terrorism links
 

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/united-kingdom/130601/second-man-michael-adebolajo-charged-death-britis