Connect to share and comment
41 countries join forces to look for mines in war-ravaged Gulf waters.
The biggest anti-mine naval operation in the world began in the Gulf Monday, watched by a suspicious Iran, according to Britain's Telegraph.
The Islamic Republic on Tuesday said foreign nations should avoid any "provocations" in Gulf waters, comments that appeared directed at the international mine sweeping effort set to begin days later, reported Agence France-Press.
The operation, led by Britain, involves 41 countries and 35 ships and is set to last through May, said The Telegraph.
Vice-admiral John Miller of US Fifth Fleet said Sunday that the exercise is "not about Iran," reported AFP. Nevertheless, Iran held its own mine sweeping operation last week and claimed to have developed a “modern anti-mine” system, reported the Telegraph.
Well, the more mines removed, the better. The Gulf serves as one of the world's most trafficked shipping lanes, and Miller told AFP their operation includes over 100 divers trained in explosives and 18 underwater drones.
The move comes several months after naval war games between the US and Iran over the Strait of Hormuz. Iran threatened to block access to the key oil route in revenge for international sanctions on its controversial nuclear program, which Western countries fear is being used to make a bomb. Iran denies this.