Connect to share and comment

Prosecution in Mubarak trial calls for death penalty

Mustafa Suleiman: "This is not a case about the killing of one or ten or 20 civilians, but a case of an entire nation."

Mubarak execution egyptEnlarge
Supporters of the ousted Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak chant slogans and carry his portrait as they demonstrate outside the police academy, as Mubarak's trial continues on February 16, 2012 in Cairo, Egypt. The 83-year-old former president is accused of ordering the killing of hundreds of demonstrators during the uprising that overthrew him last February. A verdict is expected on February 22, with prosecutors seeking the death penalty. (Photo by Carsten Koall/Getty Images) (Karsten Koall/AFP/Getty Images)

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Mustafa Suleiman, the chief prosecutor in the trial of Egypt's former leader Hosni Mubarak, called for the death penalty for the deposed president and his five co-defendants.

Mubarak is on trial for killing an estimated 850 people in a crackdown in January and February of last year. The prosecution rested its case today, and the judge is expected to issue a date for a verdict on Wednesday. 

More from GlobalPost: Mubarak trial resumes in Cairo after a 3-month hiatus

A crucial piece of evidence were Mubarak's own public words before the popular revolt swept him from power. "On Monday, Suleiman pointed to two of Mubarak's speeches during the unrest, in which the former president called on authorities to protect the people. The chief prosecutor said this was further proof that protesters were under attack," the Associated Press reported. Suleiman said Mubarak and his co-defendants deserved the death penalty because the regime's crimes reached beyond those killed in the short, brutal crackdown last winter.

More from GlobalPost: Hosni Mubarak's lawyer says his client is still president of Egypt, eligible for immunity

Though public opinion is firmly against Mubarak, Reuters reported that fears are growing that the prosecution, which worked "around the clock" compiling evidence, did not present a strong enough case. "We say the evidence is strong and decisive," said Suleiman.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/egypt/120220/prosecution-mubarak-trial-calls-death-penalty