Connect to share and comment

Port Said: Funerals held as deadly clashes continue

Port Said's mass funerals turned violent Sunday, killing one and injuring 416 others.

Port said riots egypt football 2012 03 24Enlarge
Egyptian riot policemen stand guard as a flare is thrown during a football match between al-Masry and al-Ahly in Port Said on February 1, 2012. (STR/AFP/Getty Images)

Port Said's mass funerals for the victims of Saturday's clashes turned deadly once more, leaving one dead and at least 416 injured. 

Violence broke out in the Egyptian port city Saturday over the death sentences handed down over football riots, BBC News reported

At a march held for the 31 people killed during Saturday's clashes, during which thousands of mourners carried coffins through Port Said's streets, an 18-year-old male died of gunshots to the chest, and 17 others sustained gunshot wounds, Al Jazeera English reported

Witnesses told Agence France Presse that there was no police presence at the funerals.

The canal city's stores and businesses remained closed Sunday as violence continued. 

Egypt's military issued a statement Sunday urging the citizens of Port Said and nearby Suez to restrain themselves and to uphold the right to peaceful protest, Bloomberg Businessweek reported

“The nation is in desperate need of the unity of its sons,” the statement read. 

More from GlobalPost: Port Said: Clashes kill 30 after judge delivers verdict on last year's football riots (UPDATES)

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/egypt/130127/port-said-funerals-held-deadly-clashes-continue