Connect to share and comment

Iran will boycott Oscars to protest Muhammad anti-Islam video

Iran's Culture Minister says it will boycott the 2013 Oscars to protest an anti-Islam video of the Prophet Muhammad.

Oscars6Enlarge
Winners for Best Foreign Language Film 'A Separation' ('Jodaeiye Nader az Simin', Iran) Director Asghar Farhadi and actor-screenwriter Peyman Moaadi (R) poses with the trophy at the 69th annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California, January 15, 2012. The film was nominated for an Oscar this morning. (Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images)

Iran will boycott the Oscars to protest a controversial anti-Islam video that poorly depicts the Prophet Muhammad and has sparked global protests.

Iran's culture minister made the announcement Monday, noting the film was made in the United States, the Associated Press reported.

More from GlobalPost: Ahmadinejad travels to United Nations for last address as President of Iran

Iran won its first Oscar in February when director Asghar Farhadi won best foreign film for "A Separation."

Mohammed Hosseini said Iran will not be entering films for next year's Oscars because of the controversial film “Innocence of Muslims” is "an intolerable insult to the Prophet of Islam," the ISNA news agency reported.

According to the AP, Hosseini confirmed Iran's selection committee had been planning on entering the movie, "Ye Habbeh Ghand," or "A Cube of Sugar"  for the best foreign film category.

GlobalPost reported the news comes at a particularly tense time for US-Iran relations, as Iran's President prepares to make his final address to the United Nations General Assembly.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/middle-east/iran/120924/iran-will-boycott-oscars-protest-muhammad-anti-islam-v