Four people were killed and 35 wounded on Tuesday in a bomb blast in a southern Beirut neighborhood considered a stronghold of Lebanon's Hezbollah, a Red Cross spokesman told AFP.
"Four people are dead, and there are 35 injured," Red Cross communications director Ayad al-Monzer said.
The Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon, believed to be a franchise of the Syrian Al Qaeda-linked group claimed responsibility for the bombing.
"With the help of God almighty we have responded to the massacres carried out by the party of Iran (Hezbollah)... with a martyrdom operation in their backyard in the southern (Beirut) suburbs," the group said in a statement posted on its Twitter account.
More from GlobalPost: Assad gives interview, says he sees 'no reason' why he shouldn't run for re-election (VIDEO)
The car bombing, apparently carried out by a suicide attacker, hit the southern Beirut neighborhood of Haret Hreik, which is considered a stronghold of Lebanon's Shia militant and political group Hezbollah.
The Lebanese group is a staunch ally of the Syrian regime, and has dispatched thousands of fighters to battle alongside Syrian troops against a Sunni-dominated uprising.
Its involvement in the conflict has seen Hezbollah increasingly targeted at home in bombings claimed by different Sunni extremist groups.
Al Nusra Front is the official branch of Al Qaeda in Syria, and late last year a group calling itself the Al Nusra Front in Lebanon emerged.
Tuesday's attack was the sixth time that areas considered to be Hezbollah strongholds have been targeted since the group acknowledged sending forces to Syria.
The group is believed to be the target of such attacks, but they have regularly killed civilians rather than Hezbollah members.
More from GlobalPost: Lebanese worry Hariri trial will destabilize the country