Flood threat continues to lessen in Manitoba thanks to late spring

WINNIPEG - It looks very likely that most of Manitoba will emerge unscathed from flooding this year.

The provincial government says the cool spring weather slowed the melt and has reduced the risk of flooding, which was deemed high only a few weeks ago.

The government says the Red River is at or near its crest in most areas, and the Assiniboine should peak next week.

The province says low-lying sections of Highway 75 will remain open and sandbags guarding low-lying areas in Brandon may remain dry.

Meanwhile, the government is heading to court Tuesday to try to prevent more protests like one last month at the Portage Diversion.

The province will be seeking to extend an injunction against farmers who blocked the operation of the channel for 12 hours.

Emergency Measures Minister Steve Ashton says the government is not looking to lay charges or sue, but simply wants to ensure that no one disrupts flood prevention.

The farmers were protesting what they say was inadequate compensation for farmland that was flooded in 2011 by the operation of the Portage Diversion.

The farmers said they will proceed with a rally at the legislature on Tuesday morning.

"We want to keep the pressure on because nothing has changed," said farmer Kevin Yuill. "We want compensation, the channel at the north end, and the diversion fixed up.”