Connect to share and comment

Costa Concordia nears end of final voyage to scrap yard

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

By Paola Balsomini

GENOA Italy (Reuters) - The wreck of the Costa Concordia arrived on Sunday off the northern Italian city of Genoa where it will be broken up for scrap, two-and-a-half years after the cruise liner ran aground and sank near the Tuscan island of Giglio, killing 32 people.

After a four-day voyage from Giglio of almost 200 miles, port pilots began maneuvering into position the 114,500-tonne hulk, which was lifted off the rocks and refloated last week as part of one of the largest and most complex maritime salvages ever attempted.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi is expected in Genoa later on Sunday to hail the completion of the operation which restored some pride to Italy after a disaster that was widely interpreted as a national humiliation as well as a human tragedy.

In contrast to the calamitous night of Jan. 13, 2012, when the Concordia came too close to shore during a display sometimes performed by cruise ships known as a "salute", the salvage operation has been a resounding technical success.

"This is not a celebration. We have to think of the victims, but it has to be said that keeping the Concordia in Italy is a great occasion for our country," Environment Minister Gian Luca Galletti told reporters at the port.

"We have excellent technology and we are capable of undertaking great things," he said.

With seas calm but a 10-15 knot northerly wind blowing, the ship remained around a mile offshore. Final docking in the industrial port of Voltri, just outside the main harbor in Genoa, is expected in the afternoon, Franco Gabrielli, head of Italy's Civil Protection Authority, told reporters.

The overall salvage effort is expected to cost Carnival Corp, owner of the ship's operator, Costa Cruises and its insurers more than 1.5 billion euros ($2.14 billion).

A consortium led by Italian engineering group Saipem and Genoa-based San Giorgio del Porto will break up the wreck in an operation which sources close to the project have said could cost 100 million euros ($134.24 million) and take up to two years.

"Costa Cruises has done their work and they've done it very seriously as it was their responsibility to do because they were responsible for the disaster," Galletti said.

FLOATING HOTEL

The Costa Concordia, a huge floating hotel as long as three soccer pitches laid end to end with 13 passenger decks, was carrying some 4,000 passengers and crew when it went down shortly after the start of a Mediterranean cruise.

The ship's captain, Francesco Schettino, is on trial for causing the shipwreck, which ended in a chaotic nighttime evacuation during which 32 lives were lost. The body of one crew member lost during the accident has still not been recovered.

Work has proceeded with very few serious hitches since the wreck was brought upright from its position on the rocks and secured in place last September in a multinational effort led by U.S. maritime recovery specialist Titan Salvage that involved as many as 200 crew working on the site at any one time.

Galletti said concerns expressed by France about possible fuel spillages or other pollution damage during the transfer, which took the Concordia near to Corsica, had proved unfounded. "There hasn't been any problem at all. They should have a bit more confidence in Italians," he said.

Supported by huge "sponsons", or buoyancy tanks, on either side, the wreck has been towed by two tugboats accompanied by a convoy of auxiliary vessels which have traveled at an average speed of around two nautical miles an hour. Helped by calm seas, there were no major alarms during the voyage.

Once secured in place, the hulk will be brought into a special dock behind the port where it will be stripped down and broken up.

($1 = 0.7448 Euros)

(Writing By James Mackenzie; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/thomson-reuters/140727/costa-concordia-nears-italian-port-be-broken-scrap