Reports of talks between the United States and the Taliban are inacurrate, said the US State Department Wednesday.
"Reports of a meeting scheduled are inaccurate," spokeswoman Jen Psaki told reporters, adding that Washington had "never confirmed" any talks between the two parties.
"We are now in consultations with the Afghan leadership and the High Peace Council on how to move forward."
Afghanistan's government suspended its security negotiations with the US earlier on Wednesday, saying that Washington has been inconsistent in its approach to the peace process.
"There is a contradiction between what the US government says and what it does regarding Afghanistan peace talks," said a spokesman for Afghan President Hamid Karzai.
The State Department's denial came just a day after four American soldiers were killed at Bagram Airfield.
The Afghan Taliban claimed responsibility for the rocket attack on the US base Tuesday.
"Last night two big rockets were launched at Bagram which hit the target. Four soldiers are dead and six others are wounded," said Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid. "The rockets caused a major fire."
The Bagram attack coincided with US forces officially handing over control of the country's security to Afghanistan's army and police.
More from GlobalPost: Afghanistan suspends bilateral security agreement talks with US
Reports initially said that US had agreed to negotiate with the Taliban at their offices in Doha, Qatar on the condition that they sever their ties to Al Qaeda, stop violent attacks, and accept the Afghan constitution, NBC News and others reported.
The Taliban's spokesman in Qatar had confirmed to Reuters that representatives would attend a meeting Thursday with US officials.