Connect to share and comment
By Lee Chi-dong
WASHINGTON, March 19 (Yonhap) -- Apparently seeking to deal calmly with North Korea's anti-American video on YouTube, the U.S. government reiterated Tuesday that it has no hostility toward the communist nation.
"Provocations and aggressive rhetoric by the DPRK (North Korea) are unhelpful and undermine international efforts to ensure peace and stability in Northeast Asia," a State Department official said on background.
"The United States has no hostile policy toward the DPRK," added the official. "We remain steadfast in our defense commitments to our allies in the region."
The official said the remarks are Washington's formal response to North Korea's intensifying psychological provocations using anti-American video images.
In the latest version posted on YouTube, Capitol Hill is in flames and the White House caught in a gunner's primary sight.
A female narrator flamboyantly says the White House and the Congress building are within range of a North Korean nuclear strike.
She also says the North Korean military is waiting for a call to fire a long-range rocket and the moment to launch a nuclear strike.
"As a nuclear-weapons state and a space power....We do not bluff," she adds.
Titled "Firestorms will rain on the Headquarters of War," the four-minute footage was posted on the YouTube channel of Pyongyang's official website, Uriminzokkiri, tasked with distributing propaganda messages.
Last month, it released a video showing a city seen as New York under attack, while Pyongyang was churning out strong military threats.
Contrary to the U.S. government's characteristically cool-headed response, some Americans reacted angrily.
"Hey, North Korea!!! The White House is where we all live, not just the President of the United States. The White House belongs to the people!!! If you dare strike us, our response will be OVER 9000 times more powerful!," a YouTube message read.
Alexandre Mansourov, a U.S. expert who has followed North Korea issues for a long time, said it's "silly" for Pyongyang to release such videos.
"I think it just shows the immaturity of those who decide to do so," he said.
<All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency>
Copyright Yonhap News Agency, 2014. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.