Connect to share and comment
SEOUL, March 21 (Yonhap) -- Vice Justice Minister Kim Hak-ui offered to resign on Thursday, only a week after he was appointed to the post following media reports that implicated him in a sex bribery scandal.
Some local dailies reported earlier in the day that police have obtained evidence that Kim was one of the several influential figures who had received sex services from about a dozen women hired by a local construction contractor who sought business favors in 2009.
Those who provided sex services to Kim and other high-profile figures "in the upper tier of the society" were not prostitutes, the reports said, adding that they ranged from housewives to office girls.
Police said they are now analyzing video footage allegedly showing Kim being sexually entertained by the women at a vacation home owned by the contractor in Wonju, Gangwon Province.
Kim denied any wrongdoing and dismissed the reports as "untrue," but said he was resigning, because with his name disgraced, he could no longer do his job properly.
"I'm quitting the post in order not to cause further trouble to the new government," Kim said in a statement. "I, as an ordinary individual, will try to unveil the truth and restore my honor."
President Park Geun-hye has yet to decide whether to accept the resignation offer.
The development is a serious setback to the president, who has just formed her government after taking office less than a month ago.
Despite the resignation, Kim is expected to face police questioning soon over the scandal as the probe is picking up speed.
If questioned, Kim will become the first among former high-ranking prosecutors to be the subject of a police investigation.
<All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency>