SEOUL, Aug. 4 (Yonhap) -- South Korea called on North Korea Sunday to accept its week-old proposal for talks on reopening a suspended joint industrial park, saying the South Korean people are reaching the limit of their patience.
"If North Korea truly considers the Kaesong Industrial Complex to be a touchstone of inter-Korean relations, it shouldn't stay silent but demonstrate its will through responsible words and actions," Kim Hyung-suk, a spokesman of Seoul's Ministry of Unification, said in a statement.
The call comes a week after Seoul proposed a seventh round of talks on reopening the complex in the North's border city of Kaesong.
North Korea has yet to respond to that offer.
"Our people, who wish to see North Korea's sincerity, are reaching the limit of their patience," the spokesman said.
The Kaesong park was shut down in early April when North Korean withdrew all of its 53,000 workers from the zone amid heightened tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
Previous rounds of talks on reopening the complex have broken down due in part to Seoul's insistence on safeguards against another unilateral shutdown of the factory park. Pyongyang has demanded an immediate reopening of the complex.
In delivering its "final offer" for talks last week, Seoul warned it could take "grave" measures if Pyongyang does not guarantee such safeguards.
<All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency>