Connect to share and comment
INCHEON, Sept. 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea will calmly deal with North Korea's abrupt postponement of family reunions for people separated during the 1950-53 Korean War, the country's unification minister said Friday.
In a gathering hosted by the Incheon Business Forum in the port city west of Seoul, Ryoo Kihl-jae said the government was perplexed but not terribly surprised by Pyongyang's announcement.
"As we have done in the past, the government will react in a calm manner," he said.
The two Koreas had agreed to hold the family reunions event on Aug. 23 after it was formally proposed by President Park Geun-hye at her Liberation Day address.
The list of 196 people who could meet long-lost relatives were exchanged earlier this month and last minute preparations for the Sept. 25-30 event were underway when the communist country unilaterally postponed the gathering last Saturday, citing provocations by the South.
The event would have been the first such reunion in nearly three years.
The policymaker told entrepreneurs that the move by the North to break agreements should not be viewed as an unexpected event since the country has a long track record of not living up to promises.
He stressed Seoul will adhere to its current policy of building inter-Korean trust regardless of the latest developments, that includes providing humanitarian aid to the impoverished country.
"In the past, humanitarian aid may have been used as a bargaining chip, but the current policy stance is different," the senior official claimed.
Ryoo said that the important thing is to find a way to persuade the North to change and to get the country to keep its promises. He said keeping promises is the key to better inter-Korean relations.
<All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency>
Copyright Yonhap News Agency, 2013. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.