Connect to share and comment

S. Korea's defense ministry says it foiled hacking attempt

PlacardEnlarge
(Globalpost/GlobalPost)

SEOUL, March 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korea's defense ministry said Thursday that it foiled a hacking attempt that was aimed at using an infected notebook computer to steal sensitive data.

The cyber warfare command said the infected notebook belonged to a reporter who covers the ministry.

It did not disclose the news organization or the name of the owner of the notebook computer, but stressed the attempt was detected and blocked.

"There was no loss of data and no problem arose with the ministry's computer network," said an official, who declined to be identified.

Notebooks used by reporters are connected to the defense ministry's Internet network.

He said that retracing the IP of the malicious code embedded into the computer revealed that the hacker had been using a server in Austria.

The official further said that the tracked server matches those that Seoul cited as being responsible for the massive cyber attack that occurred on South Korean financial institutions and broadcasters on March 20, 2013.

At that time authorities blamed the Korean People's Army‘s powerful Reconnaissance General Bureau for the cyber attack.

<All rights reserved by Yonhap News Agency>

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/yonhap-news-agency/140327/s-koreas-defense-ministry-says-it-foiled-hacking-attempt