Connect to share and comment

The digital world, explained.

Formula 1 again targeted by Anonymous hackers

Following cyber attacks against Formula 1 during the Bahrain Grand Prix last month, Anonymous has pledged to attack F1 websites and fans in support of Montreal's student protest movement.
Anonymous f1 montreal gp 05 30 2012Enlarge
Nick Heidfeld of Germany and Renault drives during the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 12, 2011 in Montreal, Canada. (Paul Gilham/AFP/Getty Images)

Formula 1 continues to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hacker collective Anonymous is threatening to attack Formula 1 related websites in support of Montreal’s student protesters, pledging to carry out cyber-attacks against all things F1 from June 7 to June 10 during the Montreal Grand Prix. The hacker collective similarly attacked the organization for holding a race in Bahrain, where a crackdown has silenced pro-democracy advocates.

"Beginning on June 7 and running through race day on June 10, Anonymous will take down all the F1 websites, dump the servers and databases - and wreck anything else F1 related we can find on the internet,” said an Anonymous spokesperson to techradar.com.

Anonymous, along with thousands of Montreal students, are standing against Quebec’s implementation of Special Law 78, enabling law enforcement to crack down on demonstrations throughout the province. In what began as a protest against tuition hikes, Montreal has become a battleground for human rights, according to Amnesty International, which condemned Special Law 78 .

More from GlobalPost: Anonymous hits F1 in support of Bahrain's protesters 

“What began as protests led by student groups in Quebec over a proposed hike in tuition fees 14 weeks ago have expanded in size and focus in recent weeks, with more than 2,000 arrests being made. On 23 May alone, police arrested close to 700 protesters in several cities,” said Amnesty International, calling the police measure unduly aggressive.

Anonymous is also warning anyone that is taking part in the Monaco Grand Prix, including ticket and merchandise buyers, could be subject to cyber-attacks as well. 

"We would like to remind anyone considering attending this abominable race, that last time Anonymous found all the spectators personal data, including credit card numbers — un-encrypted on F1 servers," said the spokesperson. "We highly suggest that you join the boycott of the F1 in Montreal and we certainly recommend that you NOT purchase any tickets or F1 merchandise online …You have been warned."

Anonymous brought down Formula 1’s official website last April in during the Bahrain Grand Prix in support of the country’s protest movement that began demonstrating against King Hamad bin al-Khalifa in early 2011.

"As we did in Bahrain — Anonymous intends to wreck Mr. Eccelstone's little party," said the Anonymous spokesperson, calling out Formula 1’s commercial rights holder Bernie Eccelstone.

More from GlobalPost: US steps up online propaganda war against Yemen militants

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/the-grid/formula-1-anonymous-montreal

.

Featured Slideshow

The 2013 World Press Photo Awards

Culled from more than 100,000 submissions, these photos represent the best in photojournalism from the past year.