Connect to share and comment

News you wish you didn't know.

British girl rushed to hospital, has stomach removed after drinking cocktail containing liquid nitrogen

Teenager was celebrating her 18th birthday when she consumed trendy liquid nitrogen cocktail, causing her stomach to perforate
Ecuador alcohol ban optEnlarge
A barman prepares a cocktail at Pobre Diablo, a traditional bar, restaurant and concert hall in Quito, Ecuador. (Rodrigo Buendia/AFP/Getty Images)

A young UK woman has had to have her stomach removed after consuming a cocktail containing liquid nitrogen, in a sign that trendy "extreme" beverages may indeed be hazardous to your health.

The BBC reports that 18-year-old Gaby Scanlon, a Lancashire native, went out with friends on Thursday and consumed two drinks containing liquid nitrogen mixed with Jagermeister.

 

The BBC reports that Scanlon soon began to feel breathless and complained of stomach pain after drinking the beverage.

Read more from GlobalPost: Asia's priciest drink? A $26,000 cocktail in Singapore

She was rushed to the hospital and was forced to have most of her stomach removed, in a process that's known as a gastrectomy, says the Telegraph (which provides all kinds of helpful info on how much it sucks to have your stomach removed).

Cumbria's director of public health, Doctor John Ashton, told the BBC: "This girl is the victim of an irresponsible alcohol industry that's now competing on gimmicks."

"Alcohol itself is a very dangerous thing if improperly handled and liquid nitrogen is a toxic chemical. It destroys human tissue," he added.

"Edible" cocktails containing liquid nitrogen have become trendy in recent years, as inventive bartenders use space-age techniques to craft drinks that will keep the young and trendy coming back to eat/drink/some ungodly liminal state in between.

The preparations have also become popular among practitioners of so-called molecular gastronomy, who use it to create unexpected textures and temperatures in their cuisine.

Here's an example of an "edible cocktail" made with liquid nitrogen, creating instant Dipping Dots. Pretty cool, but you do want to make sure your bartender isn't a blithering idiot, lest you suffer the fate of Gaby Scanlon.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/british-girl-rushed-hospital-has-stomach-removed-after-dr

.

Featured Slideshow

The 2013 World Press Photo Awards

Culled from more than 100,000 submissions, these photos represent the best in photojournalism from the past year.