Florida man dies after roach-eating contest

Edward Archbold, 32, vomited after downing more than 20 giant bugs during a "Midnight Madness" event at a reptile store in Deerfield Beach, Fla.

A Florida man collapsed and died after eating dozens of roaches and worms in a quest to win an exotic $850 python. 

Edward Archbold, 32, vomited after downing more than 20 giant bugs during a "Midnight Madness" event at a reptile store in Deerfield Beach, Fla., reports CNN.

Minutes later he collapsed in front of the store and was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to Reuters. 

Ben Siegel, the owner of the store, told the Miami Herald that Archbold seemed like the life of the party.

"He seemed like kind of a wild guy – he was wearing a bandanna, wrist bands and a shirt that said ‘Event Staff,’” Siegel said.

“He was brought there by his friend, and he was trying to win the snake for him.”

According to a Facebook post from Ben Siegel Reptiles, Archbold called 911 himself and was given CPR. 

Siegel's lawyer Luke Lirot wrote that the insects eaten were "safely and domestically raised".

"All participants in the contest were entirely aware of what they were doing and that they signed thorough waivers accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest," Lirot wrote.

According to contest rules posted in an online forum, the prize python would go to “the guy or gal that eats the most bugs in 4 minutes without vomiting.”

The Miami Herald reports that the grand prize has been put aside in his name and will be given to his estate.