Connect to share and comment

News you wish you didn't know.

Girl electrocuted while playing mini golf in Fla.

A medical examiner says an 11-year-old girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a miniature golf course near Orlando.
Mini golf 2012 Enlarge
A couple play minigolf on September 17, 2010. (JOHANNES EISELE/AFP/Getty Images)

A medical examiner says an 11-year-old girl was electrocuted at a miniature golf course near Orlando.

According to Orange County deputies, Ashton Jojo was trying to retrieve a ball from a 2-foot-deep pond at Orange Lake Resort's miniature golf course, when she was struck and screamed out, the Associated Press reported.

Christopher Burges tried to rescue her but the girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration, the AP wrote.

The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday.

On Friday, recordings of the 911 calls were released -  including a call from one witness who said there was "electricity in the water.'' Inspectors found electrical breakers appear not to have been properly replaced.

Authorities say the girl was visiting her grandparents at the time from New York.

More from GlobalPost: 75 percent of women won't date an unemployed man

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/girl-electrocuted-while-playing-mini-golf-fla