Connect to share and comment

News you wish you didn't know.

Grandmother's pot cookies land 3-year-old in hospital

A 3-year-old boy from Southern California was hospitalized after mistakenly eating his grandmother's medicinal marijuana cookies.
Potcookies 070312Enlarge
Marijuana laced cookies for sale at a medical marijuana 'club' in West Hollywood, California. (Robyn Beck/AFP/Getty Images)

A 3-year-old boy from Southern California was hospitalized after mistakenly eating his grandmother's medicinal marijuana cookies, the Los Angeles Times reported

Local police were called to the family’s house around 10:30 a.m. Saturday, after the toddler was found unresponsive, the Press-Enterprise reported. He was brought to the hospital for observation and later released. 

The boy's grandmother, who has cancer, was using marijuana to ease her pain and help her sleep under a doctor’s recommendation, Murrieta police Sgt. Phil Gomez told the Press-Enterprise. 

More from GlobalPost: Canadian judge OKs medicinal pot cookies, bud butter

She had baked a batch of cookies laced with THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, and stored them in her garage refrigerator, the Associated Press reported.

The boy's aunt had been babysitting him and his younger sibling when the child got into the stash, according to the Press-Enterprise. When his father returned, he found crumbs on the garage floor but assumed that the grandmother had left them there.  

Investigators are awaiting the results of toxicology tests done on the boy, New York Daily News reported. The family could face child endangerment charges if weed is found in the child's system. 

 

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatches/globalpost-blogs/weird-wide-web/grandmother-pot-cookies-hospitalize-toddler

.

Featured Slideshow

Please select a gallery.

Please select a gallery.