Connect to share and comment

News you wish you didn't know.

In the mood for love? Hong Kong tycoon Cecil Chao seeks husband for lesbian daughter Gigi — and offers $65m bounty

Hong Kong's "playboy tycoon" Cecil Chao has put up a $65 million "marriage bounty" to find a husband for lesbian daughter Gigi, who is already married to her long-time female partner.
Gigi chao married 20120926Enlarge
Gigi Chao with father Cecil Chao, a Hong Kong tycoon and property developer. Cecil Chao has reportedly offered a HK$1 billion (about $100 million) "marriage bounty" to find a husband for his lesbian daughter. (Facebook)

Poor Gigi Chao. Just a week after the 33-year-old Hong Kong socialite revealed she is married to her female partner of seven years, her tycoon father has launched a public campaign to marry her off to a man.

Cecil Chao, a Hong Kong shipping magnate and property developer, is offering a HK$500 million ($65 million) marriage bounty to the man who captures Gigi's heart, the South China Morning Post reported Wednesday.

"I don't mind whether he is rich or poor. The important thing is that he is generous and kind-hearted," Cecil was quoted as saying by the Hong Kong daily.

Gigi last week revealed she married long-time partner Sean Eav in France earlier this year. Same-sex marriages are not legally recognized in Hong Kong.

Her father, the 76-year-old owner of Cheuk Nang (Holdings) Ltd., rejected suggestions that Gigi is a lesbian, and described reports she had gotten hitched as "false," the SCMP said.

"Gigi is a very good woman with both talents and looks. She is devoted to her parents, is generous and does volunteer work," he said.

Cecil Chao is hardly one to be giving marriage advice: he is known in Hong Kong as the "playboy tycoon," and once claimed to have bedded 10,000 women. Yikes.

Gigi, who runs a modeling and marketing company and is a director at Cheuk Nang, is his first of three children with different women.

"Cecil, you sound like you're selling your daughter," one commentator wrote on the SCMP website. "Get with the times."

Another comment said: "How humiliating for this poor girl ... Mr. Chao needs to come out of denial and just be happy that he has such a beautiful daughter who appears to have found happiness with a partner whom she loves. Congratulations, Gigi!"

More from GlobalPost: Hong Kong hunger strikers take on 'brainwashing' in schools

Bill More than 1 year ago
I'd marry her for $65 million and her wife can move in with us.
Charity Brighton More than 1 year ago
I think that he is unclear as to what "lesbian" means. She can love a man, but not in a romantic sense, and a fake marriage just to save face is pointless now that she has found someone and is open about her orientation. He should really just accept her before he damages his relationship with her.
Beatriz Semi Novos More than 1 year ago
I want to talk to you about the marriage proposal if still unmarried course, marry ereceber the dowry her father offering ta want to help the people of my city investing in Socias work in the area of ​​education because here in Brazil the government invest in this little area,,
Sofia More than 1 year ago
my roomate's aunt makes $83/hr on the laptop. She has been without work for 8 months but last month her pay was $8682 just working on the laptop for a few hours. Read more on this site...NuttyRich dot com
Jimmy Sulay More than 1 year ago
i want to marry you.but im a poor boy.if you accept me for what i am.?i want marry you Gigi chao..
Jimmy Sulay More than 1 year ago
im a poor boy.if u like me cecil chao pls contct me this cp number.09192570409..i am a filipino that loving, caring and understanding..no matter what u are..the important for me is to love me as your husband and i accept me what i am,,
Gigi_Chao More than 1 year ago
chance one's arm http://www.facebook.com/gigi.chao.may
Marwan Sultan More than 1 year ago
take it or leave it
Alexander More than 1 year ago
Let me get to know you first Gigi, send me message Email: alexbohlen2003@yahoo.com
Saurabh Panday More than 1 year ago
May want to marry you and promise you'll always be happy.........gigi chao
Mariheli Escobar More than 1 year ago
pamimexicana@hotmail.com
Mariheli Escobar More than 1 year ago
pamimexicana@hotmail.com
Abel Christian More than 1 year ago
the soul and essence of this is money it's self. you will have a fullfillment meeting the right one that wants to live up to having broken dreams a broken heart and something he feels so distant from. she sounds as a broken reed in the wind singing a song to one's soul. You can not buy the feeling. but ever more. every penny you spend on love makes it feel like your the richest man alive. I wish you luck to find a man with half a heart as mine. te real profit of your love story is seeing it happen agian. I wish that God above hears you 80
Ryan More than 1 year ago
what is her email address??? she is beautiful!!! I'd marry her for nothing if her dad would cover the wedding and honeymoon!
James More than 1 year ago
Cecil if this is not a scam;which may be-someone who is seeking attention???. Is that C'mon man, 65 million--why so much dough. If I was Gigi, she should kick u in the butt.--Most men would try to win her over with their best shot ;but money plays-Your daughter is gorgeous and if she is intelligent too--send her my way. Maybe she needs a change of life--meet and fall in love with someone that is just a simple man,broke ;but has a heart of gold--that's me and 65 million--too much-but a round trip to Hong Kong would be nice--I always dreamed of visiting Macau --If I'm not lucky with Gigi;then maybe I can get lucky there. Jimmy V.. Jimmy V
Bill Alexander More than 1 year ago
Lord, bless 'em.
Adrian Low More than 1 year ago
He has yet to realised that money can but him most things but can't buy him absolutely everything, including his daughter's happiness. Congrats Gigi.
songchannels More than 1 year ago
Think about how a woman in love with her feels about this?
Danny More than 1 year ago
All he has to do is move her near any US military base.... duh!
Duane Tom More than 1 year ago
I'll pay $1,000.00 for a vegetarian to eat a 32 ounce steak without throwing up.
Danny Almonte More than 1 year ago
Sounds like an idea for a romantic comedy.
Axel Wolfgang Liebsch More than 1 year ago
Nihao! Se lo que sientes Mr. Chao .. pero no necesitas buscar mas a nadie ya me has encontrado... Mi hijo dice que yo puedo enamorar a tu hija Cecil Chao. y creo que tiene razon... contactame!!!!!! reyfaraon-sweden@hotmail.com
Arvin Lising More than 1 year ago
Mr. Chao belongs to the last breed of people who do not understand what his daughter is undergoing...While I understand him, his solution to "peddle" his daughter completely shows his lack of understanding to changes of the world today... I could say the same for fundamentalists, homophobes and ultra-conservatives...My opinion though so don't take it personally...
yusiv00 More than 1 year ago
I'm from Yemen simple man, ambitious and I want to get married and I do not want them Shi and Emily YUSIV00@yahoo.Com